The Charter 2017
Click below for full 2017 Charter and the 2016 Annual Report
I am delighted to be leading the implementation of the strategic plan, which sets out the strategic priorities and directions for Fernside 2017 – 2021.
Over the next five years, we will be working on three main strategic goals:
1) Building powerful Learning Environments - A focus on a strong curriculum, quality resources, professional leadership and high quality teaching.
2) Developing students as Global Citizens - A focus on helping students develop as people as well as learners. Building resilience through “gratitude - perseverance - optimism.”
3) Connecting with our communities - A focus on building strong networks and relationships through the development of a sustainable and ethical school with a strong rural character.
Under these three priority areas, 18 specific goals have been identified. These will be addressed annually with targeted planning and resourcing as deemed appropriate.
Fernside School has adopted a planning and reporting process that has lead to a culture of self-managed continuous improvement. It is based on an annual process of evidence based self-review. Self-review involves investigating evidence about student outcomes and current teaching and learning strategies, to find out where improvement is needed.
Planning for this improvement has required us to set goals and targets for better student outcomes and to make the changes that are necessary to bring about those improvements. The changes might be across the school or they might be specific to particular classrooms or groups of students. As a school we are all involved.
On an annual basis, the school management team develop an Annual Plan. This is created after considering:
1) The strategic direction of the school.
2) The recommendations from the previous year.
3) The staffing and budget allocations for the year.
Once all factors are considered a plan is developed to lead successful school improvement. The annual plan is developed in conjunction with the school staff and management teams. Once final approval is given by the BOT specific action plans are created. These form the basis for reporting throughout the year.
The main Goals for 2017 are:
1) Reading - Targeting at-risk readers across the school.
2 ) Spirals of Inquiry - Teachers developing understanding and expertise in this new Inquiry process.
3) Communication - Increasing the quality of the within-school, across- school communication with modern software - Linc-Ed, Fernside Apps, Google-Drive.
4) Property Upgrade - Enhancing the learning environments with Roll- Growth classrooms and modernisation projects.
5) Community Partnerships - Enhance the working relationships with schools within the Puketeraki Community of Learning.
Thanks to all the BOT, staff and parents, who will take responsibility for implementing the ideas in this document.